Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Where in the World are we???




















































Can you tell from the photos where we went last weekend??? Here's the deal: For everyone who posts a guess in the comments, correct or incorrect, I'll put their names in a hat. The winner's name I pull out will win this mother-of-pearl inlaid box!!



Interesting story on how we received the box. During the first couple of months we were here one of the Egyptian officers David works with had been talking at with David about Islam. When these conversations started to get more prolonged and David had to be a bit more abrupt with him ("Hey, I'm sorry, but I really need to get to work!"), the officer was very apologetic, which made David feel bad. Then the next day, he brought David this box with more apologies, which made him feel even worse. However, we already have an inlaid box we like, so we're going to send it to one of you!! So guess away, readers!! In a few days I will declare a winner and post an entry on our trip.

8 comments:

Ingrid Ebert said...

Not to make a guess, but just to ask if you have received my emails?
Maybe you still have my old hotmail Email address. It's not valid anymore. Have you got my Email addresses?

LG
Ingrid

Andrew and Jen said...

Oh, I know, I know...Istanbul, Turkey? Our friends lived there for 2 years and I think the photos look similar.

Unknown said...

I am with Andrew and Jen. Definitely Istanbul. (: (If I am wrong I will feel silly but my Mom has been to Turkey several times and shared photos (: Love, Suzy

The Smith Boys said...

Oooo Oooo!!! Pick me! But I have to agree with 2 earlier psots...I think its Istanbul too! And I think the mosque in the picture is called the Blue Mosque! Cool pics as usual!

Unknown said...

Nice box!

Dee said...

Can I guess Istanbul, too? Just because I don't mind riding on the other commenters' coattails? And I wouldn't have any clue as to where these beautiful photos were taken because the most exotic place I know of is Venice Beach, Calif. Or maybe Tijuana. Sad! I hope to get to where you've been and this includes here. I can't wait to hear more about your trips and your adventurous life!!

This box is DIVINE! And I love the story behind it!

sara said...

I think you are in Port Said, Egypt

Wendy Z said...

Ah yes! The Mosque on the right is the The Sultan Ahmed Mosque, one of the "Blue Mosques" in Istanbul and the one on the upper left is Hagia Sophia - Ayasofya in Istanbul. The fellow in the picture on the lower right is Chad the Sultan.