Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cairo from the rooftop

They just opened the pool on the roof of our crash pad in Cairo so a couple evenings ago we decided to take a dip and watch the sunset.















David was reading a book on the pyramids and observed that it was pretty cool to be reading about the pyramids when he can actually SEE the pyramids. If you enlarge the photo at bottom right and look very closely, you can just see them on the hazy horizon. Pretty cool indeed. The river you see is the Nile. While we were up there, we heard the 7:30 calls to prayer by all the mosques within earshot. The noise from all the various chanting swells and overwhelms the normal city sounds of traffic and honking just for a few minutes and then one by one just fades away. I tried to record it on our camera but all you can hear is wind but I'll try to capture it one of these days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

david,
what book are you reading?
sara

Anonymous said...

D or W,
i was interested to see the prymid pictures until i looked at them up close, and discovered they're rather goulish. i guess i'd forgotten they were grave sites. How foolish of me
SARA

David & Wendi said...

David's reading "The Riddle of the Pyramids" by Kurt Mendellsohn. Art lent it to him. Interesting theories but published in 1975 so wondering how many of them have been disproven. :)

Unknown said...

WOW!!! Words fail me. All but that explosive wow. I think I like your life. Thanks for sharing. (: Of course the actual me in your life would not be in the pool (all that sun) but no matter. In my imagination I am in the pool, tanning to bronze, drinking an Egyptian hibiscus flower drink and hearing the calls to prayer which, even second hand, are right up there with train whistles for adventure calls. Glad for you and happy splashing (:

Unknown said...

To Sara in reference to pyramids being tombs. Yes I forget that too. All the fascination with Egypt blocks that out. In the Field Museum with mummy babies and cats and no gold or glitter...more of a realistic view. Sad and futile. Why are people so fascinated with age? As though that had meaning in itself? I do not know. I confess I am. Fascinated I mean.