Friday, June 5, 2009

Diving in the Red Sea


So we went scuba diving for the first time. I was a bit nervous but I really didn't need to be; we were well taught and, anyway, seeing the coral and fish up close was worth it! We felt like we were swimming in an aquarium! We went to Sharm el-Sheikh on the Red Sea. On the map below, you can locate where Sharm is...right at the tip of the Sinai peninsula:



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Egypt-region-map-cities.gif


Some pics of us on the yacht:






We slept on the deck both nights and it was like being rocked to sleep under the stars...quite nice :)










Sunset













Getting ready for one of the dives
















We had an underwater camera but the photos are pretty washed out.....doesn't even begin to do justice to the pink, green, and purple coral we saw plus all the brilliant colors of the fish but this at least gives you an idea.


















A blue spotted stingray













And that's a manta ray way off in the distance












David looking serene. I think that jumbled mass on the left must be me.

















Me trying out my technique
















































Here's a picture of the group. This comprises all of David's unit over here, except for the two dive instructors in the middle, me, and another girlfriend. We had a great time!

3 comments:

Andrew and Jen said...

Awesome...I still don't know that if I would be a fan though - Snorkeling was hard enough on me. - Andrew

hutchins family said...

Wow.... Jane said, "LUCKY!" Took the words right out of Napoleon's mouth. After all my bad mouthing the military and swearing I would disown Jonathan if he even hinted at a cool military career, I am thinking maybe I should see if they take almost forty year old women with no discernable skills... I could sit on a boat and swim with the fish. Love you guys.

Kat Bernhardt said...

Wow! Thank you for the amazing pictures! You're diving right in over there--literally :) Blessings to you both! Kat