Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My Middle Eastern rug

A few days ago, a group of us went to one of the flagship stores of Oriental Weavers, a rug manufacturer here in Egypt. We looked at wool rugs, acrylic rugs, big rugs, little rugs and I realized that, unlike the others, I really wasn't interested in rugs as a practical floor covering as I was in a piece of ART. Especially since I don't even know what our next house is going to look like. They had silk rugs from Iran and India and I loved those but they were several thousand dollars just for the 5 x 7s so I had to settle with running my hands over them, oohing and awing.

Then right as we were leaving and the others were paying for their purchases, I saw it. It was pink and it was shag, but I loved it! For the pics, I laid it over the bed in our guest bedroom which gets a lot of light, but the photos still do NOT do this rug justice. It's sort of a lavender-muted pink color and there are hundreds of little pieces of satin interwoven throughout the shag which look like little flowers. Oh well, you'll just have to see it next time you visit us.
















If someone had told me that morning that by the end of the day, I would have bought a pink shag rug, I would have thought Impossible!! But here I am. I just can't wait for the future conversation where I'll say "Oh....that??? I got that when I lived in the Middle East" :)

P.S. David liked it too!!

3 comments:

Dee said...

Very groovy! My toes would thoroughly enjoy the shag.

Wendy Z said...

I can't wait to see it and touch it!

Wendy Z said...

I can't wait to see it and touch it!