Friday, September 25, 2009

Eid Mubarak!!

or Happy Eid. Eid is the 3 day celebration which ends Ramadan. There are a lot of cultural parallels to Christmas. The streets are crazy with shoppers; everyone gets gussied up in new clothes and visits family, and there's lots and lots of eating. Plus, there are Eid cookies!! 2 Egyptian ladies who work here brought some cookies in for me to try. The cookie which you see everywhere and from what I understand is only baked at Eid is the powdered sugar one which looks like a Russian Teacake. They are filled with dates, or candy, or sugar and nuts. I can't wait until Christmas to repay the favor and make them some of Mom's sugar cookies!!

4 comments:

Dee said...

Now we're talking! Cookies! Happy Eid celebration to you. Sounds so festive. Love your posts.

Lisa said...

Yummy cookies! I love cookies. Especially when they are baked by others.

Unknown said...

MOM says.........
Okay, all of these cookie look like some that I have baked, but not filled with dates and I know that I am not Egyptian. I think I would like their Ramadan, they keep stopping and celebrating little holidays in th middle and then a 3 day celebration to end it. Hey, do you get gifts for all of these mini holidays, I might just turn Egyptian.

DAD said...

Love your trips. How exciting to see what we have just read about! Cheers!! ART