Sunday, July 12, 2009

Monastery of St. Anthony


A few days ago, we visited the Coptic Christian monastery of St. Anthony. From what we've read, this is the oldest inhabited monastery in the world, built after Anthony's death in 356 AD. Anthony lived as a hermit in a cave and forbade his followers to stay with him so they camped at the foot of the hill which became the settlement of the eventual monastery.

Here's the gate. These are the new walls, built in the 18th c. They still have have remnants of the 6th c. walls inside.





When the gates were closed (the monastery was attacked and plundered several times over the centuries by Bedouins), they used a winch system (behind the wood balcony) to hoist up food and supplies.








It's a beautiful place. They have gardens, a bakery, and a mill and used to be self-sufficient. However, now with the increase in monks, they are supplemented by a farm in Beni Suef and purchase food from Cairo as well. Apparently, the Coptic Pope is very popular and there's been a recent upsurge in new, young would-be monks so the monastery has expanded.















The mill:


The square tower with the bridge was used as a fortress when attacked. The monks would climb over the bridge and then pull it back. The man in black is our tour guide; he's been a monk here for about 6 years.
















They have a spring which provides 100 cu. meters of water a day. I looked it up and a cubic meter equals 264 gallons. Our guidebook told us that legend has it that Miriam, Moses' sister, bathed here during the Exodus, but I forgot to ask our tour guide about it. :)



And then the church. Well, there are about 15 chapels throughout the complex but the original church is the Church of St. Anthony. It was built after his death over his tomb in the 4th century and then expanded throughout the centuries. The colorful wall paintings are mostly from the 13th century and, although these photos don't really do them justice, they grab your attention immediately upon walking in. In the late 1990's a conservation team from Italy came and removed all the soot and dirt; they left a small patch to show what it looked like pre-restoration and the difference is dramatic! The inscriptions you see are from notable visitors throughout the centuries.





























After we looked through the monastery (I was disappointed to not see the library which our guidebook told us had over 1700 ancient manuscripts, but we had to get special permission to enter), we climbed up to Anthony's cave. Over 2200 steps up and it was 1 pm so it was blazing hot! When we arrived at the cave there was just a very narrow opening and the walls were so smooth, we could imagine thousands of people throughout the centuries brushing their hands against them.




















Looking down from the top:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are the signs on the way up to St. Anthony's cave? Could you read them? The church reminds me of the mission in Tuscon, Arizona--San Xaiver mission
SARA

Dee said...

Wow, would love to see this place myself. Lovely! And Wendi, nice sun hat!!

Wendy Z said...

I was browsing all the pictures marveling at the stuff you're privileged to see and then I see the picture of you in that GREAT hat and I've basically forgotten where you are. So tell me, where are you? Wendy's Marvelous Land of Hats? Isn't it a wonderful land? Did you get the hat in Egypt?

Oh, and Sara is right. That church is rather reminiscent of San Xavier - it's exactly what I recall thinking when I first saw your pictures, too. But, that's a faded memory now that the thought of you in the hat has taken over. Oh, do me a favor and put on that hat and an apron, take a picture and send it to me. ;)

David & Wendi said...

Sara-- Couldn't read the signs...they probably say something like "Stay on the stairs". :)

And Wendy, you should know that I think of you everytime I put that hat on. I wish I could say I got it somewhere exotic like Egypt or Wendy's Marvelous Land of Hats but it was just Target down in Alabama. :)

I would certainly send you a picture of me in my apron and hat but I just realized I don't have my bullet apron with me. The weird thing is that I distinctly remember setting it aside to send. I'll have to ask Jen or Ellen if it's still there hanging on its hook in the kitchen.

San Xavier mission sounds wonderful. I really loved driving through Arizona.