Thursday, April 8, 2010

More Valley of the Whales

Last weekend, David and I went back to the Valley of the Whales to camp overnight. We decided to leave the fly off our tent because, you know, it was so warm and we could watch the stars...but we forgot about the sand. The fine gritty ubiquitous sand. I woke up with sand in my hair, my ears, my sleeping bag......everywhere. Desert camping tip #1....don't leave fly off of tent. :)

Here are some photos:













































These sediment layers were really interesting.






























These are a group of kids from the British school up in Cairo who camped out overnight with us. Super interesting to talk with and they were completely fluent in English....sounded like Americans. Fun group.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Russ. Normally you explain everything and I never know what to comment on. I just read and enjoy. So pardon me for asking, what's with the strange adobe houses in the middle of the desert, or the boards the kids are holding, that look suspiciously like snowboards?

David & Wendi said...

Hey Russ! yeah, I didn't explain those buildings at all. The Valley of the Whales is a UNESCO site so UNESCO built this complex to accomodate visitors. The buildings include a ticket office, police station, cafe, and restrooms. I think they're quite tastefully done and blend in well. The boards are for SANDboarding. These kids were sliding down dunes of sand on those things!