Friday, December 18, 2009

Khan el-Khalili

The Khan el-Khalili (known henceforth as The Khan) is the most famous marketplace in Cairo. It is located in the Islamic quarter (just a few blocks from our first walk in the Islamic district which I blogged about in July) , dates back to the Middle Ages, and its thousands of shops feature everything from tacky brass pyramids to beautiful handmade furniture and jewelry. This is where your blue Muski glass came from, Andrew and Jen and Suzy! Muski glass is recycled glass, usually brown or blue, which is named after the famous Muski street from the Khan.

It is overwhelming to say the least but thankfully I know some women who've taken me past the touristy souvenir shops on the outskirts into the deep nooks and crannies of the market, introducing me to their favorite shops and shopowners. This was my second trip to the Khan and, unlike the first, this time I brought my camera!































































Muski Street:


If you look closely, you can see a horse and carriage just barely squeezing through this narrow lane:


2 comments:

sara said...

When we were looking at your pictures steve noticed that nobody wears baseball caps,,,interesting!

sara said...

The homes are stacked like bad legos, one on top of another with different designs.