Thursday, August 13, 2009

Deutschland!!

This past weekend, David took a four day pass and we flew up to Germany. This satisfied my VISA requirements plus we were so excited to see our old stomping grounds in Wuerzburg and our beautiful friend Ingrid. It couldn't have been a more perfect weekend. It was just what we had hoped for: lots of time to chat with Ingrid and her friends as well as become reacquainted with our old friends knodeln, cabbage, bratwurst, cheese, and the wonderful Franconian wines. I announced after one dinner that I wasn't sure but I believed I may have eaten a pound of bread and cheese! :)

Also it rained. Ingrid felt apologetic; we thought it was a gift from God Almighty. :)

Ingrid's apartment is surrounded by vineyards on one side and an orchard on the other....here's some views from her place. Isn't it beautiful and GREEN??

















Once again, we were remiss in our picture taking....didn't get a photo of the Residenz palace, the BBQ Ingrid had for us and her other friends, hardly any from the downtown area, not even one of the three of us. These represent a small sample from our happy weekend. :) Hopefully, it won't be another 8 years before we see Ingrid and Germany again!

































































Even though we've only been in Egypt for 3 months now, we did experience a bit of a culture shock in Germany. I mean, if a country could have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder when it comes to being orderly and clean, Germany is it. I'm not sure where Egypt would fall in the psychoanalysis dept. but let's just say it has other priorities. We instantly noticed how everyone stayed in their own distinct lanes on the autobahn even in a traffic jam and were amused at how people would stand on the street corner of a small little lane, waiting for the crosswalk light to turn, even when there was no traffic!! I don't think I've seen a crosswalk yet in Egypt. :)

5 comments:

Ingrid Ebert said...

Hi Wendy, hi David!!!

I'm still having trouble with my whole outlook/websystem/e-mail ... so I don't know if you got my e-mail this week. I see you arrived back in the 'heat' savely ;-)We should have taken more pics, shouldn't we! Yesterday I went for a walk with Snowy and Theo in the vinyards and nicked the first sweet grapes of this year.

By the way - here some thoughts on our orderly traffic light behaviour - on which I wrote one stanza in my ongoing poetry project 'Reflections on my time':

traffic light

day and night
stopping those who urge to go
freezing the flow
making us pause
to reflect on consequence and cause
stressing a moment in time
slowing us down to capture beauty sublime


See, that's what's really behind the whole traffic light phenomenon ;-)))))))))))

Liebe Grüße aus Würzburg
Ingrid

Ingrid Ebert said...

Oh, and here is another one I wrote that coincidentally fits in with the permanent 'honking' you were telling me about in the streets of Egypt:

car horn

mocking the forlorn
calling silence a fool
nature's sounds to rule
the wind's whisper to drown
upon a heart's murmur to frown


:-)

David & Wendi said...

Ingrid!! I don't know how these poems just flow out of you! I can only manage haiku and infrequently at that. But you did inspire me as I was thinking about how it doesn't matter how fast planes can transport us from one world to another, mentally we need more transition time.

Cairo Airport

we land in a fever
but I can feel the cold rain
I left behind

:)

Ingrid Ebert said...

Great! Many layers of meaning! We actually had one of those thunderstorms today - breaking the heat.
Hey, I had closer look thrugh your blog - beautiful Egypt pics. Not at all as glum and rough as you pictured it. It looks really colourful, exotic, vibrant and bright with life.
LG
Ingrid

Krista said...

Ah Germany, how nice that you got to go back! And how is your eye? Good for you for speaking up! The girls and I were at the fair today and saw something I bet your missing in Egypt- "Deep Fried Twinkies" I'll save you one for when you get back!