Wednesday, May 27, 2009

First off, welcome to our blog. We're hoping to provide details and observations of our daily life over here in Egypt to those family and friends who may be interested. :) For those who may not know, David is serving as a liaison/consultant for the Chinook helicopter maintenance unit run by the Egyptians. We live on a contractor-run compound inside the Egyptian air force base Kom Awshim, a few hours south of Cairo. As you read through the postings, please use the comment field to ask any questions you may have....we'd be delighted to answer them and it would be interesting reading for others as well. Also, this first post is a good opportunity to put out our contact information. Our address over here is:

CW4 David Lyons
Chinook TAFT
Unit 64901 Box 50
APO, AE 09839-4901

We have a magicJack and chose an Oregon number so you don't have to call overseas in order to reach us: 541-728-5433. The time difference between Cairo and the West Coast is 10 hours, just so's you knows.

And I'm going to leave you with my first view of Cairo. I flew in at 12:30 AM and didn't see anything until I woke up the next morning. I ran out to the balcony and took it all in. The following is representative of the buildings I saw as far as I could see:

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Looks like out of a magazine. Although I think I mentally visualized a lot more space between buildings....and a lot less trees.